Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Backdate to Taiwan arrival day

Culture shock!!!!  After spending 6 months in Vietnam, I am in culture shock for two reasons.  The first thing I notice is how clean Taiwan is and I think it must be the cleanest place on the planet. Taipei is modern and best of all, pedestrians have the right of way. There are signs posted with this statement. My second observation is that people come in all shapes and sizes.  The Vietnamese all look the same in body shape and size  Everyone is very short and thin.  It is very rare to see any hint on weight on the Vietnamese or any height over 5'4", even in the men. Even though I am myself from from Sacramento,, California USA, the most culturally diverse county on the earth, my brain has acclimated to Vietnam and the varieties in people  feel chaotic to me, unsettling, confusing. Of course, everyone here has black hair and eyes, so the only variety is in height and weight.  I can't imagine what it is like for a newcomer to the United States with the exponential of eye, hair and skin color. Wow,  I am speechless.  Give me a couple of days before I can  post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment